Sunday, March 6, 2011

Gatineau Park 6Mar-follow up to danger on Penguin

Surprisingly FP was not as nice as Ridge Road.  I guess Ridge had been groomed quite a bit earlier as it was hard and pretty fast.  It was groomed only out to 24.  24 and 1B were in really good shape.  Other trails such as Burma, 2, 40 and 33 that had been groomed this morning were very soft and a real slog in some places. 

After Burma I returned to Ridge to go down Penguin.  Conditions were excellent except there is a dangerous section at the bottom of one of the steep sections on the way down.  There was a large puddle that has now frozen with very large chunks in the shape of the groomers track.  Also there is a large "wall" of ice likely 8 inches tall.  This patch covers the entire width of the trail.  When I came over the top in my tuck I thought at first I could get around this on the right side but quickly realized I could either crash myself or get wiped out by the ice.  I hit the deck on my own and ended up stopping just a few feet from the problem area.  Please note this is not a flat icy patch - it has very large chunks.

I stopped by P8 and told the Demsis man.  Hopefully he will alert others and get some equipment up there to flatten it out.  From 24 all the way down Ridge it was fantastic to this point- that  is one reason why suddenly seeing this situation was a complete surprise.  I did not see any additional warning tape on the way down.

No comments:

Post a Comment