Sunday, January 20, 2013

Jan 20 P16-P19

For several years I have been frustrated by the poor grooming on trail 50.  This is a great trail but for some reason it has been a challenge keeping it in good shape.  Today was different.  As far as skating was concerned the grooming was as good as I have seen it in several years.  The grooming was also good on 55 and 54.  (54's overall condition is only fair with a lot of debris)

Leaving from P16 the tracks may not have been all that great and I think that had to do with the time it was trackset.  The tracks improved with the double pass imparted by the groomer coming back from #36 and then the other one coming home from #52.  After the junction with 52 all the way to P19 the tracksetting looked very good.

Even though the skate grooming was excellent the conditions were not ideal with the track becoming more challenging as it froze.  Coming back to P16 I was warned that people were crashing on the hill and several were walking.  I elected to give it a go and was successful until I hit the area beside the field.  A very large gust of wind made me fight for balance with the net result seeing me on the ground.  First crash this year after about 650km.  No harm done and it might have entertaining for the small crowd at the head of trail who saw it.

If they get out there again and till the ice we could have excellent conditions this week even though we will be in a deep freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment