Sunday, January 9, 2011

Gatineau Park ski conditions 9Jan11 Loop from p6

I left P6 around 3:45pm so I figured the trails would be pretty beat up by then.  I took the CP to the GP and then up Penguin along Ridge to Champlain and then back to p6 along the parkway.  The parkways were as I expected for late in the day.  Another good grooming and they will be excellent.  Penguin and Kyber pass need lots of work.  The snow was totally removed in some places by the those coming downhill.  Sections could be deemed dangerous (certainly for skis) with a few rocks and gravel showing.  Even Ridge past Huron has some sketchy sections.  I'm not sure what can be done to keep snow in those places, it may just require another meter to make them totally safe.

Once again I was left wondering about the "crowning" on parts of Ridge, for example the strip below Kyber.  I don't see how more snow will help this problem.

My goal was to get to Champlain Lookout in time for the sunset, I figure I missed it by about 5 min, it would have been beautiful this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment