Saturday, January 28, 2012

28Jan Pine Road A++

I have often complained in the last few years about the poor grooming on this trail.  The NCC seemed to always have some problem in this neck of the park.  Today was entirely different.  I left skating from P16 around 9:30.  The trail was freshly groomed, flat and perfect a well earned 10 until 52.  After 52 I would rate it a 9.5 as there was a bit of the Demsis ridge,  I turned left at 55 and quickly encountered the groomer so I headed up 54 because it obviously had been freshly groomed.  The trail was actually in pretty good shape and the grooming here was once again excellent, all things considered. I had first tracks again on this trail.  The odd thing is that coming back from Lusk (just after the hay bales) I realized that my tracks were gone; they were grooming this part of 54 again.  After 54 I turned left and headed to Taylor Lake.  This part was ungroomed, because I had passed the groomer.  It was still skiable as it had about 3cm of fresh snow on top of the loud icy base.   The parkway part from 55 to P19 was also freshly and well groomed.

Overall the grooming today was as good as I have seen it on trail 50 in a few years.  One of the things that was missing were the snowmobile tracks, what a difference it makes to keep those machines off the freshly groomed trails.

Between 52 and Herridge is a fresh deer kill.  A stark reminder of the natural drama that plays itself out constantly in this great natural environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment